It’s overcast and 56F. This isn’t the marine layer kind of weather pattern. They’re talking about an approaching cold front. That mostly doesn’t matter out here on the coast, but where they’re dealing with fires inland that could be a tad scary.
Yesterday morning as I was putting out the newsletter I was already going down with a migraine. I’m sorry I missed people yesterday. Darned if I know what triggered it, either. Tempus minded the shop and had a pretty good day, but I was a wreck, even late into the evening.
Today depends somewhat on whether I’m ok to go to the shop. I’m going to have to be there for class, at least, but I’m still pretty light-sensitive.
NASA Science News for July 26, 2013
New research by NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office shows that one annual meteor shower produces more fireballs than any other–the Perseids. This year’s Perseid peak is just around the corner on August 12-13.
FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/26jul_perseids/
Today’s Feast is that of Domhnach Chrom Dubh, a facet of the dying/rising harvest god that is associated with sacred wells. The Crooked Dark One, is the flip side of Lugh, the god of light. He was pretty scary from the sound of it. There’s only a little online about him, mostly here: http://celteros.tumblr.com/post/8301950220/domhnach-chrom-dubh-chrom-crom-dubh A few more bits are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Brigid%27s_Well and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuim%C3%ADn_of_Kilcummin
Today’s Plant is Miner’s Lettuce, (aka winter purslane, or Indian lettuce). It’s a plant native to our area, growing and blooming in our soggy spring and drying out and dying back in the summer. I’ve seen in re-bloom in the fall. It’s a leaf vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked like spinach. It’s really choice in salads and very high in vitamin C. It got the name because the Gold Rush miners ate it to prevent scurvy, since they really weren’t eating right. Like any lettuce or most of the salad greens it’s Feminine and Water, but as any high Vitamin C food, its planet correspondence is the Sun. – Sprinkling it inside the home brings happiness, so it’s good in floor washes or new home blessings. Carry it with you for luck and to protect from violence. Put it into sleep pillows or add to a dream catcher to keep away nightmares. I’ve actually slipped it between the mattress and sheets for this purpose. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miner%27s_lettuce More on the genus here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytonia
The shop opens at 11am! Spring hours are 11am-7pm Thursday through Monday. If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light or call the shop at 541-563-7154.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar –
The Moon is Waning Gibbous. Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends on 8/5 at 2:561pm. Waning Gibbous Moon – Best time for draining the energy behind illness, habits or addictions. Magicks of this sort, started now, should be ended before the phase change to the New Moon. , Associated God/dess: Hera/Hero, Cybele, Zeus the Conqueror, Mars/Martius, Anansi, Prometheus, Phase ends at the Quarter on 7/29 at 10:43am.
Starry Scorpius is sometimes called “the Orion of Summer” for its brightness and its prominent red supergiant (Antares in the case of Scorpius, Betelgeuse for Orion). But Scorpius is a lot lower in the sky for those of us at mid-northern latitudes. This means it has only one really good evening month: July. Catch Scorpius due south just after dark now, before it starts to tilt lower toward the southwest.
Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter shine low in the east-northeast during dawn. Jupiter is the highest and brightest (magnitude –1.9). Look for faint Mars (magnitude +1.6) a little to Jupiter’s lower left. Look below them, and perhaps a bit left, for Mercury, which brightens from magnitude +1 to 0 this week. Best time: about 60 to 40 minutes before your local sunrise. Binoculars may help with the fainter two planets, especially through summer haze.
Goddess Month of Kerea runs from 7/11 – 8/8
Celtic Tree month of Tinne/Holly – Jul 8 – Aug 4 – Energy and guidance for problems to come.
Runic half-month of Uruz/ Ur, 7/14-28 According to Pennick Ur represents primal strength, a time of collective action. A good time for beginnings! Pennick, Nigel, The Pagan Book of Days, Destiny Books, Rochester, Vermont, USA, 1992
Runic half-month of Thorn, 7/29-8/12 – Northern Tradition honors the god known to the Anglo-Saxons as Thunor and to the Norse as Thor (right). The time of Thorn is one of ascendant powers and orderliness. This day also honors the sainted Norwegian king, Olaf, slain around Lammas Day. Its traditional calendar symbol is an axe.
©2013 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Tinne Holly Jul 8 – Aug 4 – Tinne – (CHIN-yuh), holly – The holly (Ilex aquifolium L.) is a shrub growing to 10 m (35 feet) in open woodlands and along clearings in forests. Hollies are evergreen, and stand out in winter among the bare branches of the deciduous forest trees that surround them. Hollies form red berries before Samhain which last until the birds finish eating them, often after Imbolc. The typical “holly leaf” is found on smaller plants, but toward the tops of taller plants the leaves have fewer spiny teeth. Hollies are members of the Holly family (Aquifoliaceae). The common holly is often cultivated in North America, as are hybrids between it and Asiatic holly species. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly
Tinne – Holly Ogam letter correspondences
Color: Dark Grey
Meaning: Energy and guidance for problems to come
to study this month – Ioho – Yew – Ogam letter correspondences
Color: Dark Green
Letter: I, J, Y
Meaning: Complete change in life-direction or attitude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_brevifolia
Tides for Alsea Bay
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
Su 28 High 5:19 AM 6.0 5:59 AM Set 1:06 PM 68
~ 28 Low 11:22 AM 1.0 8:46 PM Rise 11:51 PM
~ 28 High 5:48 PM 7.4
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – Education liberates the child from the fetters of ignorance, illiteracy and poverty.
~ A wise man is cured of ambition by ambition itself; his aim is so exalted that riches, office, fortune and favour cannot satisfy him. – Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) English writer, lexicographer
~ You can’t be successful until you step through your fears to create what you’ve dreamed. – Kerr Cuhulain
~ Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. – Helen Keller
~ Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total; of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. – Robert F. Kennedy (1925-1968) US Politician
DUALITY OF THE MOTHER
I see two halves in one woman…
One is golden, with amber hair
And has in her hand a flame;
The other pale blue with azure hair
That holds a knife made of ice.
One is a flame to burn away
The illusions and deceptions of life;
One is a knife to freeze and cut
All cords and attachments
That hinder our Higher Self.
She dances, and as she does
The world forms and re-forms.
She dances, the skies change color
She laughs, and the Earth shakes.
Her flame erupts the volcanoes,
Her ice sends hail down upon us.
She claps her hands together,
And the steam forms the clouds.
Rain comes from her
In the form of nourishing waters,
Or instead, in rivers of blood.
She drops to Earth in Spring,
To see flowers and baby animals.
So many facets has Our Mother! – © July 7, 2008, Beth Clare Johnson (Mystic Amazon)
Magick – Lughnasadh Studies
Prayer for Lughnasadh
Now is the time of the First Harvest,
when the bounties of nature give of themselves so that we may survive.
O God of the ripening fields,
Lord of the Grain,
grant me the understanding of sacrifice as You prepare to deliver Yourself under the sickle of the Goddess and journey to the lands of eternal summer.
O Goddess of the Dark Moon,
teach me the secrets of rebirth as the Sun loses its strength and the nights grow cold. – Scott Cunningham
1. Clear large space on table for wrapping present.
2. Go to wardrobe and collect bag in which present is contained, and close door.
3. Open door and remove cat from wardrobe.
4. Go to cupboard and retrieve rolls of wrapping paper.
5. Go back and remove cat from cupboard.
6. Go to drawer and collect transparent sticky tape, ribbons, scissors, labels, etc.
7. Lay out present and wrapping materials on table, to enable wrapping strategy to be formed.
8. Go back to drawer to get string, remove cat that has been in the drawer since last visit, and collect string.
9. Remove present from bag.
10. Remove cat from bag.
11. Open box to check present, remove cat from box, replace present.
12. Lay out paper to enable cutting to size.
13. Cut the paper to size, trying to keep the cutting line straight.
14. Throw away first sheet because cat tried to chase the scissors and tore the paper.
15. Cut second sheet of paper to size by putting cat in the bag the present came out of.
16. Place present on cut-to-size paper.
17. Lift up edges of paper to seal in present, wonder why edges now don’t reach, and find cat between present and paper. Remove cat and retry.
18. Place object on paper, to hold in place, while cutting transparent sticky tape.
19. Spend next 20 minutes carefully trying to remove transparent sticky tape from cat with pair of nail scissors.
20. Seal paper down with transparent sticky tape, making corners as neat as possible.
21. Look for roll of ribbon; chase cat down hall and retrieve ribbon.
22. Try to wrap present with ribbon in a two-directional turn.
23. Re-roll up ribbon and remove paper that is now torn, due to cat’s enthusiasm in chasing ribbon end.
24. Repeat steps 12-22 until down to last sheet of paper.
25. Decide to skip steps 12-16 in order to save time and reduce risk of losing last sheet of paper. Retrieve old cardboard box that you know is right size for sheet of paper.
26. Put present in box, and tie down with string.
27. Remove string, open box and remove cat.
28. Put all packing materials in bag with present and head for lockable room.
29. Once inside room, lock door and start to re-lay out packing materials.
30. Remove cat from box, unlock door, put cat outside door, close door and re-lock.
31. Lay out last sheet of paper. (Admittedly this is difficult in the small area of the toilet, but try your best!)
32. Seal box, wrap with paper and start repairs by very carefully sealing down tears with transparent sticky tape. Now tie up with ribbon and decorate with bows to hide worst affected areas.
33. Label, then sit back and admire your handiwork, congratulating yourself on making good of a bad job.
34. Unlock door, and go to kitchen to make drink and feed cat.
35. Spend next 15 minutes looking for cat, before coming to obvious conclusion.
36. Unwrap present, untie box and remove cat.
37. Retrieve all discarded sheets of wrapping paper, feed cat and retire to lockable room for last attempt, making certain you are alone and the door is locked.
38. At time of handing over present, smile sweetly at receiver’s face, as they try to hide their contempt at being handed such a badly wrapped present.
39. Swear to yourself that next year, you will get the store to wrap the darn thing for you.