It’s 48F and brilliant sunshine is pouring through the study window! It’s very, very still, not a breath of breeze out there.
Yesterday those of us who were cooking had a lot of fun, despite some glitches as to what got brought and what didn’t. We started the day with heading for the shop, noticing the plum tree in full bloom! <<< Amor and Hatch harvested the jonquils, which just couldn’t wait, and I did the primroses, ditto. We loaded up a few more things and headed for Marius and Rowan’s.
Rowan was cooking when we got there and we had some of her awesome ravioli and a lovely apple crisp during the afternoon. We got the hall set up, did some of the cooking, and then Amor and I headed back, leaving Hatch to bake the kolacki.
>>>>>> Birthday orchids in a “Bud” vase >>>>>>>
Amor took Tempus and me to supper at the China Restaurant. They had their hot stuff and I got a sweet/sour pork dinner that came with a couple of fried shrimp. Yes, oOf course we had the crab puffs!
I crashed when we got home. Amor took off to go visit somebody and Tempus worked in the kitchen for a bit.
<<<<< The rosemary in full bloom <<<<<<
Today Hatch, Amor and I are all going to be doing the final prep stuff for tomorrow’s event. The shop will be open from 11 until past sunset at the least, but you might want to call to make certain that we’re still open if it’s any later than that.
Red Huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium), which grows mostly at low to middle elevations in soil enriched by decaying wood and on rotten logs, all over the coast range. It is a deciduous shrub growing to 13 ft tall with a small, edible red to blue-black berry. The local peoples ate, dried, stewed and made sauces from this berry which was one of their staple foods. The bark is a cold remedy. The leaves make a good tea. I make jam of the berries, which also make a tasty tea. Both berries and leaves are good for sore throats, aching teeth and inflamed gums. It’s sometimes used as an ornamental, but it doesn’t take well to getting the roots disturbed. Gender, Feminine – Planet, Venus – Element, Water – Carry for luck, health (especially teeth/throat), to keep away evil and break hexes, Burn to make dreams come true. Dried berries can be used for prosperity magicks. More info and links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_parvifolium
Juno Februata may be a mangled re-telling of the Lupercalia Feast that we’re going to talk about tomorrow. This goddess was of the home, hearth and married women and has a name that may be a borrowed word from another language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_Februa Some interesting stuff about Juno’s tree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_Ruminalis and more about figs in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus …and following with today’s theme, I’ve liked this song since the first time I heard it, and when Wikipedia featured it this day last year I found out some interesting background. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Ladies_%28Put_a_Ring_on_It%29
The shop opens at 11am. Winter hours are 11am-5pm Thursday through Monday, although they’re drifting longer into the evening as sunset does. Need something off hours? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light, or call the shop.
Love & Light,
Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 2/18 at 3:47pm. Waning Crescent Moon –Best time for beginning introspective magicks that are more long term (full year cycle) A good time for beginning knot magicks to “bind up” addictions and illness (finish just before the Tide Change of Dark to New) and “tying up loose ends” God/dess aspects – Demeter weeping for her Daughter, Mabon, Arachne Tyr. Phase ends on 2/14 at 3:47am. Hecate’s Brooch – 3-5 days before New Moon – Best time for Releasing Rituals. It’s the last few days before the new moon, the time of Hecate’s Brooch. This is the time that if you’re going to throw something out, or sweep the floors, or take stuff to Good Will, do it! Rid yourself of negativity and work on the letting go process. Release the old, removing unwanted negative energies, addictions, or illness. Do physical and psychic cleansings. Good for wisdom & psychic ability. Goddess Aspect: Crone Associated God/desses: Callieach, Banshee, Hecate, Baba Yaga, Ereshkigal, Thoth. Phase ends at the Dark on 2/17 at 3:47am.
Saturday, February 14 – Zenith star – If you’re in the world’s mid-northern latitudes, bright <<< Capella passes straight overhead, or nearly so, around 7 or 8 p.m. (depending on how far west or east you are in your time zone). It goes exactly through your zenith if you’re at latitude 46° north: for example Portland, Oregon; Montreal; central France.
And whenever Capella passes highest, Rigel >>> in Orion’s foot is always due south.
Venus is an “evening star” in the southwestern sky just after sunset.
Comet Lovejoy is still 5th magnitude, high in the evening sky for binoculars and telescopes. See Comet Lovejoy Shines On.
Friday, Feb. 6–Friday, Feb. 20, after evening twilight. Look to the south of west, just above Venus and Mars, for the faint zodiacal light, reflected from interplanetary matter along the ecliptic (marked by green line). Don’t confuse it with the brighter Milky Way to the northwest. Credit: Starry Night software
Goddess Month of of Bridhe, runs from 1/23 – 2/19
Goddess Month of of Moura, runs from 2/20-3/19
Celtic Tree Month of Luis/Rowan, Jan 21-Feb 17
Celtic Tree Month of Nuin/Nion/Ash, Feb 18 – Mar 17
Runic half-month of Sowulo/ Sigel, 2/12-26 It represents the power of the force of good throughout the world and is the harbinger of victory and ascendancy over darkness.
©2015 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright.
Celtic Tree Month of Luis/Rowan, Jan 21-Feb 17, Luis (LWEESH)/rowan – The rowan, or mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia L.) is related to servceberries. The red berries were historically used to lure birds into traps, and the specific epithet aucuparia comes from words meaning “to catch a bird”. Birds are also responsible for dispersing the seeds. Rowans thrive in poor soils and colonize disturbed areas. In some parts of Europe they are most common around ancient settlements, either because of their weedy nature or because they were planted. Rowans flower in May. They grow to 15 m (50 feet) and are members of the Rose family (Rosaceae). They are cultivated in North America, especially in the northeast.
Luis – Rowan Ogam letter correspondences
Color: Grey and Red
Meaning: Controlling your life; Protection against control by others.
Quert – Apple Ogam letter correspondences to study this month
Meaning: A choice must be made
Tides for Alsea Bay
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
Sa 14 Low 1:34 AM 3.4 7:18 AM Rise 3:31 AM 32
~ 14 High 7:47 AM 7.7 5:44 PM Set 1:18 PM
~ 14 Low 3:06 PM 0.6
~ 14 High 9:35 PM 5.9
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – The day is bright and full of activity. Stop in the midst of it and take stock.
~ He knows all who knows when to stop. – Guðmundur Jónsson
~ History has lessons for us all, but that lesson should not be dogma. History’s lesson should be the pitfalls that lay in wait for those who cannot change. – Kerr Cuhulain
~ Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. – Helen Keller
~ We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea–whether it is to sail or to watch it–we are going back from whence we came. – John F. Kennedy
You said you felt like a puppet,
Yanked around at others’ whims.
But Child, cannot you see
But Child, you refuse to see;
That you have so often
And without care or feeling,
The Wheel indeed must turn,
The strings that wrapped around
That indeed I have dangled from,
Are waiting for you.
They have come around, Child,
Come around to hold you back
In return. © Copyright 3/19/07. Beth Clare Johnson . Written and Submitted by Beth Clare Johnson (Mystic Amazon) email@example.com
Lucky in Love Spell
Love spells can be fun. Start this one by calling on Ops, Fortuna, and Thoth for good fortune in love. Since any love is a gamble, we will use gambling imagery in this ritual. Wear your loudest, luckiest Las Vegas or Mardi Gras–style outfit. Invite friends over for a “Casino Night,” and serve champagne, cheese, apples, and nuts. Have party favors such as Mardi Gras beads or doubloons, and play cards or roulette. Tell you guests that you are betting that you will be lucky in love. Do not wager or accept any money during the games, even if others do. Ask your guests to wish you luck when it comes to love in your life. Be aware what cards you draw or what numbers come up on the wheel. Write them down. These will provide clues to potential suitors. Good luck! ~ Denise Dumars )0( Visit Crone’s Corner on Yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Crones_Corner/ GrannyMoon’s Morning Feast Archives
To Attract a Love
Play a CD or Tape of some romantic music that means something to you. Make sure that the music does not include songs that you associate with another person. It is important to keep specific people out of your mind performing this spell.
On a sheet of cardboard, light a candle of your favorite color to represent you. Then, light a red or pink candle to represent whoever your new love may be. Using a red magic marker or crayon, draw a heart around the red candle.
Every day for at least a week, relight the candles in the evening, and as soon as you light the candles, move them slightly closer together, so that on the last day, the candles are as close together as possible.
Lots of Love For St. Valentine’s Day
WHAT YOU NEED:
- A RED CANDLE
- A PIECE OF PAPER & PEN
- A JAR TO HOLD ASHES
- A LOVE POEM WRITTEN BY YOU
- A PIECE OF RED CLOTH 3-6 INCHES
- A RED RIBBON AT LEAST 3 INCHES
- Write the full name and the birth date for yourself and question marks inside of hearts for your Valentine.
- Say the love poem that you made up repeatedly while burning the paper.
- After the ashes cool, wrap them into the cloth and tie it closed with the ribbon. Depending on the type of cloth you use, you may need to place the cooled ashes in plastic before you wrap them.
- Keep on your altar until the spell manifests.
From: Cynthia J Ley <firstname.lastname@example.org> To: email@example.com Subject: Re: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidi… Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 9:29 AM FWD:
- AT&T fired President John Walter after nine months, saying he “lacked intellectual leadership.” He received a $26 million severance package. Perhaps it’s not Walter who’s lacking intelligence.
- WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS – Police in Oakland, California, spent two hours attempting to subdue a gunman who had barricaded himself inside his home. After firing ten tear gas canisters, officers discovered that the man was standing beside them, shouting “Please come out and give yourself up”
- WHAT WAS PLAN B??? – An Illinois man, pretending to have a gun, kidnapped a motorist and forced him to drive to two different automated teller machines. The kidnapper then proceeded to withdraw money from his own bank accounts.
- THE GETAWAY – A man walked into a Topeka, Kansas, Kwik Stop and asked for all the money in the cash drawer. Apparently the take was too small, so he tied up the store clerk and worked the counter himself for three hours until police showed up and grabbed him.
- DID I SAY THAT??? – Police in Los Angeles had good luck with a robbery suspect who just couldn’t control himself during a lineup. When detectives asked each man in the lineup to repeat the words,”Give me all your money or I’ll shoot,” the man shouted, “That’s not what I said”
- ARE WE COMMUNICATING?? – A man spoke frantically into the phone, “My wife is pregnant, and her contractions are only two minutes apart” “Is this her first child?” the doctor asked. “No” the man shouted, “This is her husband”
- THE SHARPEST KNIFE IN THE DRAWER – In Modesto, California, Steven Richard King was arrested for trying to hold up a Bank of America branch without a weapon. King used a thumb and a finger to simulate a gun, but unfortunately, he failed to keep his hand in his pocket.( helllllllooooooo )
- THE GRAND FINALE – This is a true story Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert an hour east of Bakersfield, California, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn’t get their brand new 22-ft. Bayliner to perform. It wouldn’t get on a plane at all, and it was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power was applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they putted over to a nearby marina, thinking someone there could tell them what was wrong.
A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working order. The engine ran fine, the outdrive went up and down, the prop was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath. He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard. REMEMBER, THIS IS TRUE…..Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”