There’s a good stiff breeze, but it’s gradually picking up steam since I got up. 55F and the computers all say, “clear” when there are piles of clouds out there. They’re actually thinning the sunlight a bit, bright as it is. We apparently even got some rain last night. I don’t remember hearing any, but the gauges are reading .15 inch.
Yesterday Tempus went at the water heater and got the plumbing capped off so at least we have water, first thing. I was catching up on mail and then settled in on blogs after he left for our friend’s house. I worked on various pieces all afternoon, the writing and finding and preparing pictures, mostly.
Around suppertime I made a broiled cheddar and hard-boiled egg on Tempus’ good bread (since he had gotten a loaf done in the morning) and then started talking with folks and planning. We re-set the sheep date, yet again. …and then I took some books and crawled into bed….and then stayed up *way* too late, reading! Tempus got home 10-ish and crawled in, too.
Today I was awakened by needing to talk to the electric company. We had some kind of balance owing that we didn’t know about and the electric got turned off! We got it sorted, but not a fun way to wake up. I have the newsletters for the week to set up and I’m hoping to do a little writing on my pincushion pamphlet and set up a few Spoonflower designs. Tempus is making us a substantial breakfast (he was talking about omelets!) and then back to work on the water heater.
Kiva Rose 5/5/15 Mullien in the rain. Used with permission. Please visit http://bearmedicineherbals.com
Today’s Plant is Pearly Everlasting, margaritacea, sometimes called Life-Everlasting. The “everlasting” part of the name comes from the fact that the flowers dry well and can be used as decorations during the winter month. There are a number of medicinal uses for this plant, particularly as poultices and often as a decoction added to a hot bag of some sort (iow, put it on a washcloth, warm and put a heating pad on top of that) for bruises, sprains and to the chest for bronchitis, among others – Feminine, Venus, Air – Add to spells that are long-term. Can be useful in a sachet/potpourri/amulet since the flowers will soak up essential oils and release the scent over time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphalis_margaritacea
May 6 is the day of Eyvind Kelve in Norse celebrations. Eyvind Kelve was a pagan martyr who was tortured and drowned on the orders of King Olaf Tryggvason for refusing to give up his pagan beliefs. Eyvind refused to convert. He was pricked with hot pins, had his fingers broken, his back scored and fruit and salt scrubbed into the wounds, and still refused to consent to baptism. He was deprived of food and sleep, and when he still refused, Olaf declared that if he would not take the waters of baptism, the waters would take him, and had him drowned. I guess pagans have our tortured martyrs, too…. …and the Law of Return at work, Olaf eventually drowned after a losing battle at sea. According to Heimskringla’s account, king Olaf had practitioners of seiðr tied and left on a skerry at ebb. More on Olav here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olav_Tryggvason#Forcible_conversions That guy was a real piece of work! A week later, Norwegians celebrate the Festival of the Midnight Sun, which pays tribute to the Norse sun goddess. This festival marks the beginning of ten straight weeks without darkness. In part from http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/beltanemayday/p/Beltane_History.htm A tiny bit more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyvind_Kelve
The shop opens at 11am! Spring hours are 11am-6pm Thursday through Monday, although they’re drifting longer into the evening as sunset does. Need something off hours? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light, or call the shop.
Love & Light,
Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends on 5/17 at 9:13pm. Waning Gibbous Moon – Best time for draining the energy behind illness, habits or addictions. Magicks of this sort, started now, should be ended before the phase change to the New Moon. – Associated God/dess: Hera/Hero, Cybele, Zeus the Conqueror, Mars/Martius, Anansi, Prometheus. Phase ends at the Quarter on 5/11 at 3:36am.
Summer is more than six weeks away, but the Summer Triangle is beginning to make its appearance in the east, one star after another. The first in view is Vega. It’s already visible low in the northeast as twilight fades.
Next up is Deneb, lower left of Vega by two or three fists at arm’s length. Deneb takes about an hour to appear after Vega does, depending on your latitude.
The third is Altair, which shows up far to their lower right around midnight.
By week’s end the Taurus horn stars have slid well below Venus, and Mercury has faded.
Jupiter (magnitude –2.1, in Cancer) shines high in the south as the stars come out, and less high in the southwest later. It’s the second-brightest point of light in the sky after Venus. In a telescope, Jupiter has shrunk to 38 or 37 arcseconds wide.
Goddess Month of Maia runs from 4/18 – 5/15
Celtic Tree Month of Saille/Willow, Apr 15 – May 12
Runic half-month of Laguz/ Lagu, 4/29-5/13 Representing the flowing and mutable forces of water, Lagu symbolizes life, growth and waxing power of this time of year.
©2015 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright.
Celtic Tree Month of Saille/Willow, Apr 15 – May 12 – The Willow in the Tree alphabet stands for the female and lunar rhythms of life. She is water-seeking, thriving from preference on the damp margins of lakes and streams or across the low-lying water meadows. Water and the tidal movements of the sea are governed by the pull of the moon. The moon in its monthly rhythms is female, contrasting with the male sun’s daily and yearly turnings. In several ways, the Celts held women in higher regard than we do today. On the material level, women were property owners, and whoever controlled the property controlled the marriage. Women of all types and ages appeared in the Celtic pantheon, the spiritual strength and life-giving qualities given by both female and male recognized equally. There were colleges of Druidesses – learned women and teachers – respected equally for their gifts of see-ship, often expressed through dreams, or night visions.
Magical Associations: Romantic love, healing, protection, fertility, magic for women.
Saille – Willow Ogam letter correspondences
Color: listed only as bright
Meaning: Gaining balance in your life
to study this month – Ohn – Furze Ogam letter correspondences
Color: Yellow Gold
Meaning: Information that could change your life
Tides for Alsea Bay
W 6 High 2:03 AM 7.9 6:00 AM Set 8:02 AM 97
~ 6 Low 8:59 AM -0.8 8:26 PM Rise 11:05 PM
~ 6 High 3:26 PM 6.5
~ 6 Low 8:52 PM 2.5
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – For people who like peace and quiet; a phoneless cord.
~ He who is incapable of feeling strong passions, of being shaken by anger, of living in every sense of the word, will never be a good actor. – Sarah Bernhardt (1844-1923) French actor
~ Let no one come to you without leaving better and happier. – Mother Teresa
~ Be a shape shifter, making adjustments to handle the situations that you find yourself in. Shape your life to sway circumstances to your advantage. – Kerr Cuhulain
~ To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. – Steve Prefontaine
They hang the man and flog the woman,
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose,
That steals the common from the goose. – English rhyme, c. 1764
A Pledge to Pagan Spirituality
I am a Pagan and I dedicate Myself to channeling the Spiritual Energy of my Inner Self to help and to heal myself and others.
* I know that I am a part of the Whole of Nature. May I grow in understanding of the Unity of all Nature. May I always walk in Balance.
* May I always be mindful of the diversity of Nature as well as its Unity and may I always be tolerant of those whose race, appearance, sex, sexual preference, culture, and other ways differ from my own.
* May I use the Force (psychic power) wisely and never use it for aggression nor for malevolent purposes. May I never direct it to curtail the free will of another.
* May I always be mindful that I create my own reality and that I have the power within me to create positivity in my life.
* May I always act in honorable ways: being honest with myself and others, keeping my word whenever I have given it, fulfilling all responsibilities and commitments I have taken on to the best of my ability.
* May I always remember that whatever is sent out always returns magnified to the sender. May the Forces of Karma move swiftly to remind me of these spiritual commitments when I have begun to falter from them, and may I use this Karmic feedback to help myself grow and be more attuned to my Inner Pagan Spirit.
* May I always remain strong and committed to my Spiritual ideals in the face of adversity and negativity. May the Force of my Inner Spirit ground out all malevolence directed my way and transform it into positivity. May my Inner Light shine so strongly that malevolent forces cannot even approach my sphere of existence.
* May I always grow in Inner Wisdom & Understanding. May I see every problem that I face as an opportunity to develop myself spiritually in solving it.
* May I always act out of Love to all other beings on this Planet– to other humans, to plants, to animals, to minerals, to elementals, to spirits, and to other entities.
* May I always be mindful that the Goddess and God in all their forms dwell within me and that this divinity is reflected through my own Inner Self, my Pagan Spirit.
* May I always channel Love and Light from my being. May my Inner Spirit, rather than my ego self, guide all my thoughts, feelings, and actions.
SO MOTE IT BE! — Last amended June 11, 1989 —