It’s 55F, beautifully sunny in a soft blue sky from which any clouds are rapidly disappearing. There’s no real chance of rain until Saturday night. It’s a little on the breezy side. My tuned wind chime isn’t sounding much, but the rose is flapping pretty wildly. It’s in bloom, too, so I need to go harvest those petals before they all fly away.
Yesterday, not getting to the shop until nearly 4, and the newsletter coming out even later, felt very odd. Tempus was working at the apartment and then came to get me around 6:30, bringing some supper with him. After we ate we headed for the house and I discovered that the amount of dust in the air was enough to set my asthma off big-time. That’s not good.
Eventually he had his grandfather’s small dresser loaded, came back for me and we headed home. He got it assembled and in the apartment this morning, as the coffee was brewing. We did laundry last night and I’ve gotten it 1/2 put away this morning, wheezing all the while. I really need my allergy pills…..
Jeanne and Scotty were out working on the garden beds near the driveway this morning. I harvested the bracken that was across the path to my box garden, then harvested thyme from it and chives. After that I harvested the chive heads from Jeanne’s chives (going to start chive oil today) and trimmed her sage, which is more spices to dry!
Tempus is cleaning up the stuff from our weekend, getting boards off the floor, moving the bookshelf and the stuff that got parked on the counter. I need to get this newsletter out, but he also needs to go get my flash drive, which got left at the apartment (wheezing means that my brain doesn’t function well) and the olive oil (for the chive oil) that also got left. Of course, Tempus left his *phone* at the apartment, but I told him that he did that just trying to make me feel better!
Arthur got a picture of Hecate’s Brooch on 5/2/16 on a break from work.
Today’s Plant is False Lily of the Valley, Maianthemum dilatatum. It was eaten as a poverty food, and the berries won’t hurt you, but they aren’t particularly tasty, either. It was more used as a medicinal by the indigenous peoples, although modern medicine doesn’t substantiate the native uses. The leaves were eaten in spring as a purgative, leaves were made into poultices for scrapes and cuts and the roots were pounded to make a medicine for sore eyes. I don’t know of any magickal uses except against sterility. More here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maianthemum_dilatatum and here: http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/gardens/longhouse/monographs/false_lillyofthevalley.htm
Kodomo no Hi, Children’s Day in Japan. is a feast that started 1500 years ago or more. It changed from Boys’ Day to Children’s more recently, in 1948. It celebrates children’s personalities and their happiness, and honors their mothers. Mochi wrapped in oak leaves, filled with bean jam and iris-wrapped mochi filled with sweet rice paste are served on this day. …and tell Fawkes, “Happy Birthday”, too! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Day_%28Japan%29
The shop opens at 11am! Summer hours are 11am-7pm Thursday through Monday. Need something off hours? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at email@example.com If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light, or call the shop.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar
Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 5/6 at 12:30pm. Hecate’s Brooch – 3-5 days before New Moon – Best time for Releasing Rituals. It’s the last few days before the new moon, the time of Hecate’s Brooch. This is the time that if you’re going to throw something out, or sweep the floors, or take stuff to Good Will, do it! Rid yourself of negativity and work on the letting go process. Release the old, removing unwanted negative energies, addictions, or illness. Do physical and psychic cleansings. Good for wisdom & psychic ability. Goddess Aspect: Crone – Associated God/desses: Callieach, Banshee, Hecate, Baba Yaga, Ereshkigal, Thoth. Phase ends at the Dark on 5/5 at 12:30am. Dark of the Moon, End of the cycle – In the time leading up to the “New Moon” you may do banishings and other baneful magicks and healings that require blasting a disease away, as well as using the time for introspection and self-work. Do scrying, now. Good for reversing circumstances. God/dess Aspect: The One Beyond, the Watchers in the Outer Dark, psychopomps – Associated God/desses: Hecate, Kali, Arianhrod, Anja, Kore in the Underworld, Ereshkigal who was Inanna, Set/Seth, Hades, Osiris. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 5/6 at 12:30pm.
Summer is more than six weeks away, but the Summer Triangle is making its appearance in the east, one star after another. The first in view is Vega>>>. It’s already visible low in the northeast as twilight fades.
Next up is << Deneb, lower left of Vega by two or three fists at arm’s length. Deneb takes about an hour to appear after Vega does, depending on your latitude.
The third is Altair >>>> , which shows up far to their lower right around midnight.
Neptune is very low in the east-southeast as dawn begins.
Goddess Month of Maia runs from 4/18 – 5/15
Celtic Tree Month of Saille/Willow, Apr 15 – May 12
Runic half-month of Laguz, April 29-May 13 – Stands for: Water (or Lake) Color: Black & White (Green) Casting meaning: Laguz represents the power of water and its easy flowing nature. We must learn to “go with the flow” when this rune shows up in a reading so that we can take full advantage of our powers.
©2016 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Celtic Tree Month of Saille/Willow, Apr 15 – May 12 – The Willow in the Tree alphabet stands for the female and lunar rhythms of life. She is water-seeking, thriving from preference on the damp margins of lakes and streams or across the low-lying water meadows. Water and the tidal movements of the sea are governed by the pull of the moon. The moon in its monthly rhythms is female, contrasting with the male sun’s daily and yearly turnings. In several ways, the Celts held women in higher regard than we do today. On the material level, women were property owners, and whoever controlled the property controlled the marriage. Women of all types and ages appeared in the Celtic pantheon, the spiritual strength and life-giving qualities given by both female and male recognized equally. There were colleges of Druidesses – learned women and teachers – respected equally for their gifts of see-ship, often expressed through dreams, or night visions.
Magical Associations: Romantic love, healing, protection, fertility, magic for women.
Tides for Alsea Bay
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
Th 5 Low 6:13 AM -0.8 6:00 AM Rise 5:37 AM 5
~ 5 High 12:22 PM 7.2 8:26 PM Set 7:17 PM
~ 5 Low 6:14 PM 0.9
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – My mission is to bring freedom to my world. I hold an intention for everyone to embody freedom.
~ But courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility. – Erwin Rommel (1891-1944) German Field Marshal.
~ The place to begin taking charge of your life is “know thyself. – Kerr Cuhulain
~ A man may live after losing his life but not after losing his honour. – Irish Proverb
~ Love is more than just a feeling: it’s a process requiring continual attention. Loving well takes laughter, loyalty, and wanting more to be able to say, “I understand” than to hear, “You’re right.” ~Molleen Matsumura
We want more people doing Creator’s work. Living in this vast world where everything is progress talking money we need to understand the spirit of Grandmother Earth, she is a provider. A source of life not a resource.” – Chief Arvol Looking Horse
Magick – The Moon – Did you know that the Moon also has seasons?!?!!
Seasons – From Wikipedia (links below)
The Moon’s axial tilt with respect to the ecliptic is only 1.5424°, much less than the 23.44° of Earth. Because of this, the Moon’s solar illumination varies much less with season, and topographical details play a crucial role in seasonal effects. From images taken by Clementine in 1994, it appears that four mountainous regions on the rim of Peary Crater at the Moon’s north pole may remain illuminated for the entire lunar day, creatingpeaks of eternal light. No such regions exist at the south pole. Similarly, there are places that remain in permanent shadow at the bottoms of many polar craters, and these dark craters are extremely cold: Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter measured the lowest summer temperatures in craters at the southern pole at 35 K (−238 °C; −397 °F) and just 26 K (−247 °C; −413 °F) close to the winter solstice in north polar Hermite Crater. This is the coldest temperature in the Solar System ever measured by a spacecraft, colder even than the surface of Pluto. Average temperatures of the Moon’s surface are reported, but temperatures of different areas will vary greatly depending upon whether a spot is in sunlight or in shadow.
- The Moon – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon
- Other Moons of our Planet – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claimed_moons_of_Earth
- Counter-Earth – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth
Silliness – How to Get Rid of Telemarketers
– If they start out with, “How are you today?” say, “I’m so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died. When they try to get to the sell, just keep talking about your problems.
– If they say they’re John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.
– This works great if you are male: Telemarketing: “Hi, my name is Judy and I’m with XYZ Company…Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, “What are you wearing?”
– Cry out in surprise, “Judy! Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?” Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.
– Say “No,” over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to peak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.
– If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, “I don’t have any friends…Would you be my friend?”
– If the company cleans rugs, respond: “Can you get out blood? Can you get out GOAT blood? How about HUMAN blood?”
– After the telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give you credit card number to a complete stranger.
– Tell the telemarketer that you work for the same company, they often can’t sell to employees.
– Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream “Oh my Gosh!!!” and then hang up.
– Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask them if they will give you their HOME phone number so you can call them back. When the telemarketer explains that they cannot give out their HOME number, you say “I guess you don’t want anyone bothering you at home, right?” The telemarketer will agree and you say, “Now you know how I feel!” Hang up.
– Tell them it is dinner time, BUT ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.
– Tell the telemarketer you are on “home incarceration” and ask if they could bring you some beer.
– Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.
– Tell the telemarketer, “Okay, I will listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I’m not wearing any clothes.”
– Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. “Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how’s your momma?”
– Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up…louder… louder… LOUDER…
– Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.
– If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.