The sky has as much white as blue today, but the sunshine is bright. It’s already 54F! The wind is at 5mph here and only in one place nearby is it over 10mph and that is right on the water. There’s very little chance of rain in the forecast until late Monday afternoon when the next weather system rolls in.
It was very quiet yesterday for a few hours and Tempus started a bread loaf. Celia and Bret from Toasted stopped by for a visit since he was getting his car worked on. I was hard at work on newsletter stuff and the day flew past and it was already time to head home! …all I did was newsletter stuff. I feel very unaccomplished…
So I made up for that all evening by stitching on the last of the project. I was working on it when Tempus left before 9pm and still working on it when he got in at 6:30! I do take breaks, but I put in 7 1/2 hours yesterday. When he came in, he put the pieces into the wash so I can iron them today.
Today we’re open, but neither of us are in good shape. We’ll see what coffee can do, but I’m not sanguine about that. We’ll probably both end up needing naps. I have to get the embroidery ironed in and in the mail, and then we have class tonight.
This week’s sky stuff. – https://www.space.com/39912-planets-line-up-saturn-mars-jupiter-venus-march-2018.html
Today’s plant is Goldenrod, Solidago Canadensis. A good browse plant, although not shade-tolerant, it is one of the first plants to colonize burned-off areas. In Fukishima it has taken over the rice fields near the wrecked nuclear plant. – Feminine, Venus, Air – Wear a piece of goldenrod to see your future love. Hold a piece in the hand and it will direct you to things you’ve lost or buried treasure. If it blooms by your door without being planted, good fortune will follow. It’s also used in money spells and has the property of survival. Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidago_canadensis
Chotrul Duchen is one of four Tibetan Buddhist festivals that commemorate his life. It’s held around this time of year and features sculptured butter lamps, some of which are huge. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_Lamp_Festival and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_lamp and a bit about the offering and prayers here: http://bodhiactivity.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/lamp-offering-prayer/
The shop is open 11-5pm Thursday through Monday, although we’re there a lot later most nights. Need something off hours? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light, or call the shop.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar
Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 3/17 at 6:12am. Waning Gibbous Moon – Best time for draining the energy behind illness, habits or addictions. Magicks of this sort, started now, should be ended before the phase change to the New Moon. – Associated God/dess: Hera/Hero, Cybele, Zeus the Conqueror, Mars/Martius, Anansi, Prometheus. Phase ends at the Quarter on 3/9 at 3:20am. Waning Crescent Moon –Best time for beginning introspective magicks that are more long term (full year cycle) A good time for beginning knot magicks to “bind up” addictions and illness (finish just before the Tide Change of Dark to New) and “tying up loose ends” God/dess aspects – Demeter weeping for her Daughter, Mabon, Arachne Tyr. Phase ends on 3/12 at 6:12pm.
In the early dawn of Saturday, the Moon forms a low, flat triangle with Mars and Saturn, as shown here.
Bright Sirius stands due south on the meridian just after twilight fades away into night. Sirius is the bottom star of the equilateral Winter Triangle. The other two stars of the Triangle are orange Betelgeuse to Sirius’s upper right (Orion’s shoulder) and Procyon to Sirius’s upper left.
Uranus (magnitude 5.9, in Pisces) is sinking low in the west after nightfall.
Goddess Month of Moura, runs from 2/20-3/19
Celtic Tree Month of Nuin/Nion/Ash, Feb 18 – Mar 17
Runic half-month of Teiwaz/Tyr, 2/27-3/13 This is a time of positive regulation, sacrifice and hard work in order to progress. Runic half-month of Berkana/ Beorc, 3/14-29 Half-month ruled by the goddess of the birch tree; a time of purification for rebirth and new beginnings.
©2018 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Celtic Tree Month of Nuin/Nion/Ash, Feb 18 – Mar 17, Nion (NEE-uhn), ash – the common ash (Fraxinus excelsior L.) is a major tree of lowland forests in much of Europe, along with oaks and beeches. It grows to 40 m (130 feet) in open sites, with a broad crown reminiscent of American elm trees. Ash was and still is an important timber tree, and is a traditional material for the handle of a besom. The common ash is occasionally cultivated in North America, and similar native ash species are widely grown as street trees. Ashes are members of the Olive family (Oleaceae).
Ogam letter correspondences to study this month Oir – Spindle Ogam letter correspondences
Letter: TH, OI
Meaning: Finish obligations and tasks or your life cannot move forward.
Tides for Alsea Bay
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
F 9 High 5:27 AM 7.0 6:39 AM Rise 1:35 AM 56
9 Low 12:40 PM 1.4 6:15 PM Set 11:16 AM
9 High 7:10 PM 5.4
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right and pray for the ones who don’t.
~ The more uncertain I have felt about myself, the more there has grown up in me a feeling of kinship with all things. – Carl Jung
~ The power of love or the love of power? You choose. – Unknown
~ The teacher is like the candle which lights others in consuming itself. – Giovanni Ruffini
~ There is more honor in accumulating little by little than in reaching for the sky and ending up flat on your face. – Vatnsdæla Saga, c.7
And then up the ladder of the earth I climbed through the horrible thicket of the lost jungles to you, Machu Picchu.
Tall city of stones stacked up in steps, at last a dwelling where what is earthly was not hidden under slumbering clothes.
In you, like two parallel lines, the cradle of lightning and humanity rocking together in a thorny wind.
Mother of stone, spume of the condors.
Highest reef of the human dawn. – britax, Pablo Neruda, Poem to Machu Picchu
- Planting seeds or starting a Magickal Herb Garden.
- Taking a long walk in nature with no intent other than reflecting on the Magick of nature and our Great Mother and her bounty.
- Make hot cross buns to honor the union of the earth and the sun for Spring. Slash the “X” with the Boline and bless the cakes.
- Toss crushed eggshells into the garden and say – “For fairy, for flowers, for herbs in the bowers, these shells pass fertility with springtime flowers”.
- Wear green clothing.
- Eat an egg you have empowered with a quality you desire.
Color eggs and place on altar as magickal talismans
- A visit from the Easter Bunny
- Decorate home with baskets of flowers
- Spring cleaning – Clear out old clothes, books, toys etc..
- Have a sunrise observance
- Bless some seeds with a wish. Plant them, and as they come up, the wish is fulfilled. Better yet, plant each in an eggshell and then plant that in your garden.
- Write and perform a mystery play about the God’s resurrection. Write one about Ishtar and Tammuz or Isis and Osiris
- Plant your live Yule tree if you bought one
- Do something new. This is a great time to try something new, to renew our thoughts and dreams.
- A good time for spells of love, healing and protection.
O S T A R A – http://earthwitchery.com/ostara.html – Spring Equinox – circa March 21
Ostara, or the Spring Equinox, is an enchanted borderland time outside of time where a magickal seam joins dark and light. From this moment on, the Sun God begins his seminal journey across the sky. His light and warmth overtake the darkness of Winter until his power peaks at Summer Solstice in June.
Ostara is a time of new fire. The light and dark are in perfect balance, but the light is growing and the Sun is about to burst forth with new energy. It is a season of fertility and growth.
Eostre or Ostara is the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring to whom offerings of cakes and colored eggs were made at the Vernal Equinox. Rabbits were sacred to her, especially white rabbits, and she was believed to take the form of a rabbit.
ALTAR: For the Ostara altar:
- Candles should be light green.
- Incense may be jasmine.
- Decorate the circle with spring wildflowers.
- Place an earthenware or wooden bowl containing soil or a large seed of some kind on the altar.
HERBS to use in your magic at Ostara: lily of the valley, tansy, lavender, marjoram, thyme, tarragon, lovage, lilac, violets, lemon balm, dogwood, honeysuckle, oakmoss, orrisroot, sunflower seeds, rose hips, oak, elder, willow, crocus, daffodil, jonquil, tulip, broom (Scotch or Iris), meadowsweet, acorn, trefoil (purple clover), vervain.
STONES: Clear quartz crystal, rose quartz, agate, lapis lazuli, amazonite, garnet.
- Perform a seed blessing and indoor planting ritual.
- Have a traditional breakfast of buns, ham, and eggs.
- Make natural egg dyes from herbs.
- Color hard boiled eggs and add symbols for the Fertility God, the Goddess, the Sun God, unity, fire, water, agriculture, prosperity and growth, strength and wisdom, spring, love and affection, and protection.
- Consecrate the eggs:
- In the name of the Goddess of Spring, (name); and the ever-returning God of the Sun, (name); By the powers of the four elements — earth, air, fire, and water; I do consecrate these eggs of Ostara..
- Point the athame at the eggs, make the sign of the pentagram, and see the energy flow through the blade into the eggs, and say:
- New life lies within as new life shall enter the soil. Let those who seek this life find it and consume it, for all life feeds on life.
- The eggs may be hidden and an Ostara Egg Hunt commences.
- Make pysanky and krashanky, magickal amulets of fertility, protection, and prosperity.
- Make hot cross buns to honor the union of the earth and the sun for Spring. Slash the “X” with the bolline and bless the cakes.
- Toss crushed eggshells into the garden and say:
- For fairy, for flowers, for herbs in the bowers, The shells pass fertility with springtime flowers.
- Wear green clothing.
- Eat an egg you have empowered with a quality you desire.
- On Ostara Eve, light a purple or violet candle and burn patchouli incense. Carry them both through the house, and say:
- Farewell to wintry spirits and friends; On morrow we greet the spirits of spring. Our blessings to thee as your way we wend; And merry we’ll meet next winter again. Blow out the candle and say: Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again.
- At this time, witches cast spells for careers, relationships, and love. It’s a time for planting new ideas. Seek harmony and balance in the incredible energy of the season, and project good health, good fortune, and confidence in achieving goals.
- FOOD: Eggs! Spring lamb, cream and milk, bake bread with a decorated egg inside, spring salad, hot cross buns.