Featured photo by Craig Burrows. No Workshops today!
It’s cloudy and everything is wet. A large glom of rain moved over just a bit ago, and there’s more out at sea. 45F, wind at 5-10mph and gusting, AQI44, UV3. 50% chance of rain both today and tonight. SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY through 4pm Sunday. We’re looking at a possibility of Sunday, Wednesday and next Monday dry, but the rest looks showery. …and just as I hit “publish” the hail started! Wow!
I caught a nap in the late afternoon, then went to writing on the blogs….. In the evening I started another soup for one of the “shore leave” people that can’t have pork and Tempus and I worked on clean-up from the feast. We’re starting to see the bottom of it.
It looks like we’re calling off Herbs this morning and Sewing this afternoon. I’m going to go spend the day with the crew of the Chimera on Shore Leave (Honorverse fan club!) Tempus will have the shop open all day.
Instead of Today’s Plant we have Spring Rains Spell – Anja – Tired of it being cold and windy? Take to your garden altar: 3, 5 or 7 spring blossoms (crocus, snowdrop, primrose), cooled water from boiling eggs and a dried fern frond. Pour some of the egg water on the altar and sprinkle the rest on the garden, spiraling clockwise outward from the altar. Ask the spirits of place, the plant devas, and the local fairies to help find the warm, gentle rains of spring and bring them to where you are. Burn the piece of fern until it is entirely ash, then lay the blooms on the altar and thank the local spirits for their attention.
Today’s Feast – It’s Leap Day!
The shop opens at 11am. Winter hours are 11am-5pm Thursday through Monday. Need something off hours? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at email@example.com If we’re supposed to be closed, but it looks like we’re there, try the door. If it’s open, the shop’s open! In case of bad weather, check here at the blog for updates, on our Facebook as Ancient Light, or call the shop.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar
Waxing Moon Magick – The waxing moon is for constructive magick, such as love, wealth, success, courage, friendship, luck or healthy, protection, divination. Any working that needs extra power, such as help finding a new job or healings for serious conditions, can be done now. Also, love, knowledge, legal undertakings, money and dreams. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 3/9 at 10:48am. Waxing Crescent phase – Keywords for the Crescent phase are: expansion, growth, struggle, opportunity. It is the time in a cycle that you gather the wisdom learned in the new phase and communicate your intention to move forward. Light a candle. Write or read an affirmation. LISTEN & ABSORB. Commit to your goal. God/dess aspect: Maiden/Youth, energy and enthusiasm – Associated God/dess: Artemis & Apollo, Mayet/Djehuti, Freya/Frey. Phase ends at the Quarter on 3/2 at 11:57am.
This is a good morning to check out the planetary alignment before dawn. Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn spread out 19° along the ecliptic — the path of the Sun across our sky that the planets follow closely — with Mars highest, Jupiter 10° to its lower left, and Saturn 9° farther on. Magnitude –2.0 Jupiter gleams brightest, with Saturn (magnitude 0.7) and Mars (magnitude 1.1) appearing more than 10 times dimmer.
As the stars come out, look above the Moon to see how early you can detect the Pleiades.They’re about 13° over the Moon: a fist at arm’s length or a little more. Easier to spot, and helping to guide you, will be orange Aldebaran a similar distance to the Pleiades’ left.
Saturn (magnitude +0.6, also in Sagittarius) is low in early dawn, 9° lower left of Jupiter, almost a fist at arm’s length. Binoculars will help as the sky brightens.
Old Farmer’s Almanac February Sky Map! https://www.almanac.com/sky-map-february
Goddess Month of of Moura, runs from 2/20-3/19
Celtic Tree Month of Nuin/Nion/Ash, Feb 18 – Mar 17, Nion (NEE-uhn)
Runic half-month of Teiwaz/Tyr, 2/27-3/13 This is a time of positive regulation, sacrifice and hard work in order to progress.
©2020 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Celtic Tree Month of Nuin/Nion/Ash, Feb 18 – Mar 17, Nion (NEE-uhn), ash – the common ash (Fraxinus excelsior L.) is a major tree of lowland forests in much of Europe, along with oaks and beeches. It grows to 40 m (130 feet) in open sites, with a broad crown reminiscent of American elm trees. Ash was and still is an important timber tree, and is a traditional material for the handle of a besom. The common ash is occasionally cultivated in North America, and similar native ash species are widely grown as street trees. Ashes are members of the Olive family (Oleaceae).
Ogam letter correspondences to study this month Oir – Spindle Ogam letter correspondences
Letter: TH, OI
Meaning: Finish obligations and tasks or your life cannot move forward.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
Sa 29 High 3:38 AM 7.2 6:54 AM Rise 9:50 AM 21
~ 29 Low 10:17 AM 1.6 6:04 PM
~ 29 High 4:14 PM 5.8
~ 29 Low 9:55 PM 2.6
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – I’ll watch my thinking and keep improving it.
~ Beware the barrenness of a busy life. – Socrates
~ The Constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams (1722-1803) US patriot
~ Self-worth comes from one thing – thinking that you are worthy. – Wayne Dyer
~ Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. – Mark Twain
When the days are longer, longer,
And the sun shines stronger, stronger,
And the winds cease blowing, blowing,
And the winter’s chance of snowing
Is lost in springtime weather. – Nora Perry (1831–96)
- Proto-IndoEuropean rite – http://www.adf.org/rituals/proto-indo-european/ostara.html
- Gleicchenacht and Ostara Blot – http://www.adf.org/rituals/norse/gleichennacht/
- Asatru Ostara Rite – http://www.thetroth.org/resources/buythenewbook.html/ostar.html
- A fairly standard Wiccan ritual – http://www.geocities.com/annafranklin1/ostara.html
- A Slavic Springtime ritual – http://www.mythinglinks.org/Spring~Strinennia~Garnet.html
- Wonderful Kid crafts – http://www.everythingeaster.com/crafts.html
- All about Easter Eggs – some further links to places like the egg board. http://www.everythingeaster.com/eggs.html
- Interesting site with Czech easter customs. Pretty egg pix!
- Section for natural dye techniques and suggestions – http://www.everythingeaster.com/story/naturaldye.html
- 175 Easy-To-Do-Easter Crafts: Easy-To-Do Crafts, Easy-To-Find Things (Easy-To-Do Crafts Easy-To-Find Things) by Sharon Dunn Umnik.
- The New Seed Starter’s Handbook by Nancy. Bubel.
- Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners by Suzanne Ashworth.
- Ball Culture Guide: The Encyclopedia of Seed Germination by Jim Nau.
- Field Grown Cut Flowers: A Practical Guide and Sourcebook: Commercial Field Grown Fresh and Dried Cut Flower Production by Alan B. Stevens.
- Flowers for Sale: Growing and Marketing Cut Flowers: Backyard to Small Acreage (A Bootstrap Guide) by Lee Sturdivant.
- History of Easter Eggs
- Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- Origin of Hot Cross Buns
- Holly Bussing : Custom
- Hollowing Out Eggs
- Egg Pinata’s
- Simple Things We Pagans Can Do 4 Easter
- Return to the Database
Links to Pysanky Pisanki sites:
- Brownie’s Bazaar, the absolute best pisanki supplies source. – http://pages.prodigy.com/esuark/pysanky.htm
- A Pysanky Primer – http://carpatho-rusyn.org/crs/pysanky.htm
- Pysanky – Ukrainian Easter Eggs – http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/pysanky.html
- Easter Eggs – a Russian pisanki site – http://www.moscow-guide.ru/Culture/FolkArt/Eggs/index.htm
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes – http://usacitylink.com/easter/dye.html
- Polish Art Center – http://www.polartcenter.com/
- Unique Egg Art, a pysanky site – http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1057/
- Pisanki – http://www.okana.net/pisanka.html
- Pisanki – go down the left menu and look for the word. This page also includes links to some incredible pictures. – http://www.okana.org/page.html
Silliness – Punny Business Slogan – On a Septic Tank Truck: Yesterday’s Meals on Wheels