A year ago I posted this reminder. We’re coming into the time of year when folks are going to sunburn badly if they’re out too long during the day. This kind of weather, when the “hot” of the sun doesn’t register, is the absolute worst. Use sunblock and appropriate clothing and climb on people who don’t. Getting skin cancer is curable, but who wants to do chemo? Remind people, please? I’ve got a friend who is still on chemo, from last year, quite bald, regularly barfs up her toenails and still had to go to work. Update – The friend is still on chemo, but the maintenance variety. She has a little hair and isn’t urping, although still nauseated, but had to quit her job. …and if you have something strange on your skin, get it checked! I’ve had 5 more friends end up having to be treated this year! One is cured (although that takes 5 years to be certain) two more are on chemo, one is still waiting for results from his 2nd treatment and one isn’t going to recover. 😦 Skin cancer is no joke!
Weather, F, wind at mph and gusting, AQI, UV. % chance of rain today and % tonight. Forecast
Tempus got in at 6:30. I was awake, but he surprised me. I got to working on the computer for awhile and then got roped in to a role-play in the Honorverse group that I play with. I had meant to go back to sleep, but it kept me awake until past 10:30. After that I slept until 2pm and at 3 got into a fascinating class on costume armor from the 15-16th century. That ran over into the next class which was on tenntrad for posaments. Translated… spinning fine wire around a silk core to make a particular style of clothing embellishment from the Viking era.
Tempus went out to get the mail and came back with our Stay-Home-Stay-Safe Candy Box from the Chocolate Frog. It’s a marvelous assortment! I already ate a marzipan-filled dark chocolate stick and snagged some flower jellies for myself. If you want one this is the ordering site. https://store28412379.shopsettings.com/
Tempus and I got some work done in the back, but Tuesday is a bulk route night, so he headed out 7-ish. I was curled up with some embroidery at the time and not paying attention the clock. I’m hoping he actually ate some supper or got something at the store. (Yes, he did, bread and pepperoni.) We still have that good chicken soup that I did. I spent awhile on plants. I have a tote of clippings and such that need to go to the compost.
After that I hauled out the waxed cloth covers, the ironing board, the iron and the parchment paper. Over the last 2 years we’ve been putting some of these away as they had to get washed. They need a little TLC afterwards when you do that and I’m running out of the usable covers. We usually just rinse them, but when something molds or it’s been sitting too long or they get meat juices on them, into the wash they go!
…and then I couldn’t find the extra wax. <sigh> So everything is sitting until later today. I talked to Tempus for a bit after the bulk route was done. He was taking a break before the other route starts. He got to the store, but they were out of everything, nearly, that we were looking for. We talked a little about what needs to get done today and then I went in back to scrounge a lunch…. I had breakfast, I had supper…. I guess it was lunch.
Today I really do have to get to the back of the office area. I got a little of it, yesterday, but only a little.
Today’s Plant is Pearly Everlasting, margaritacea, sometimes called Life-Everlasting. The “everlasting” part of the name comes from the fact that the flowers dry well and can be used as decorations during the winter month. There are a number of medicinal uses for this plant, particularly as poultices and often as a decoction added to a hot bag of some sort (iow, put it on a washcloth, warm and put a heating pad on top of that) for bruises, sprains and to the chest for bronchitis, among others – Feminine, Venus, Air – Add to spells that are long-term. Can be useful in a sachet/potpourri/amulet since the flowers will soak up essential oils and release the scent over time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphalis_margaritacea
May 6 is the day of Eyvind Kelve in Norse celebrations. Eyvind Kelve was a pagan martyr who was tortured and drowned on the orders of King Olaf Tryggvason for refusing to give up his pagan beliefs. Eyvind refused to convert. He was pricked with hot pins, had his fingers broken, his back scored and fruit and salt scrubbed into the wounds, and still refused to consent to baptism. He was deprived of food and sleep, and when he still refused, Olaf declared that if he would not take the waters of baptism, the waters would take him, and had him drowned. I guess pagans have our tortured martyrs, too…. …and the Law of Return at work, Olaf eventually drowned after a losing battle at sea. According to Heimskringla’s account, king Olaf had practitioners of seiðr tied and left on a skerry at ebb. More on Olav here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olav_Tryggvason#Forcible_conversions That guy was a real piece of work! A week later, Norwegians celebrate the Festival of the Midnight Sun, which pays tribute to the Norse sun goddess. This festival marks the beginning of ten straight weeks without darkness. In part from http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/beltanemayday/p/Beltane_History.htm A tiny bit more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyvind_Kelve
The shop is closed for the duration. Need something? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org We should be able to accommodate requests and even allow a little shopping, one person at a time.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar
Waxing Moon Magick – The waxing moon is for constructive magick, such as love, wealth, success, courage, friendship, luck or healthy, protection, divination. Any working that needs extra power, such as help finding a new job or healings for serious conditions, can be done now. Also, love, knowledge, legal undertakings, money and dreams. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 5/7 at 3:45am. Full Moon – The day of, the day before, and day after the true Full Moon. “And better it be when the moon is full!”! Prime time for rituals for prophecy, for spells to come to fruition, infusing health and wholeness, etc. A good time for invoking deity. FRUITION Manifesting goals, nurturing, passion, healing, strength, power. Workings on this day are for protection, divination. “extra power”, job hunting, healing serious conditions Also, love, knowledge, legal undertakings, money and dreams. God/dess Aspect: Mother/Abundance/Kingship – – Associated God/desses: Danu, Cerridwen, Gaia, Aphrodite, Isis, Jupiter, Amon-Ra. Phase ends on 5/8 at 3:45pm.
Full Moon both this evening and tomorrow evening; the Moon is exactly full at 3:45 a.m. Thursday morning PDT. It’s a supermoon, just a trace larger than average, because it’s at perigee on the 6th. Rising as the Sun sets tonight, our satellite’s bright light will wash out much of the dark sky. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t still tempting targets to observe. As the stars begin to come out this evening, the Moon is low in the east-southeast.
Look for <<<Arcturus high to its upper left and Spica >>>, not quite as bright, less far to the Moon’s upper right.
Not to be shown up by its fellow Galilean satellites, Jupiter’s moon Io and its shadow cross the face of the gas giant this morning. The whole thing starts at 11:59 PM PDT, tonight, as Io’s shadow slips into view on Jupiter’s eastern limb. At 1:13 A.M. PDT, Io begins to cross in front of the same limb, with its shadow more than halfway across the planet’s face. An hour later, the moon’s shadow disappears, with the moon slipping off the planet’s disk beginning at 3:29 A.M. PDT. (East Coast observers will miss this finale as the Sun rises and interrupts the show.)
Neptune, a mere 8th magnitude, is barely risen in the east as dawn begins.
Old Farmer’s Almanac April Sky Map! – https://www.almanac.com/night-sky-map-april-minor-constellations
Goddess Month of Maia runs from 4/18 – 5/15
Celtic Tree Month of Saille Willow Apr 15 – May 12
Celtic Tree Month of Huath/Hawthorn, May 13 – Jun 9 –
Runic half-month of Laguz/ Lagu, 4/29-5/13 Representing the flowing and mutable forces of water, Lagu symbolizes life, growth and waxing power of this time of year.
©2020 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Celtic Tree Month of Saille/Willow, Apr 15 – May 12 – The Willow in the Tree alphabet stands for the female and lunar rhythms of life. She is water-seeking, thriving from preference on the damp margins of lakes and streams or across the low-lying water meadows. Water and the tidal movements of the sea are governed by the pull of the moon. The moon in its monthly rhythms is female, contrasting with the male sun’s daily and yearly turnings. In several ways, the Celts held women in higher regard than we do today. On the material level, women were property owners, and whoever controlled the property controlled the marriage. Women of all types and ages appeared in the Celtic pantheon, the spiritual strength and life-giving qualities given by both female and male recognized equally. There were colleges of Druidesses – learned women and teachers – respected equally for their gifts of see-ship, often expressed through dreams, or night visions.
Magical Associations: Romantic love, healing, protection, fertility, magic for women.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
~ /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
W 6 Low 6:34 AM -0.9 5:59 AM Set 5:52 AM 95
~ 6 High 12:44 PM 7.2 8:27 PM Rise 7:48 PM
~ 6 Low 6:33 PM 1.0
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – Laugh until you cry… Cry until you laugh…
~ Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill, laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass. – Rupert Brooke
~ Time is that wherein there is opportunity, and opportunity is that wherein there is no great time. – Democritus
~ David wasn’t thinking of being king when he was tending sheep; he was just doing what God set before him. – John Fisher
~ An author in his book must be like God in the universe, present everywhere and visible nowhere. – Gustave Flaubert
What plant we in this apple tree?
Sweets for a hundred flowery springs
To load the May-wind’s restless wings,
When, from the orchard-row, he pours
Its fragrance through our open doors;
A world of blossoms for the bee,
Flowers for the sick girl’s silent room,
For the glad infant sprigs of bloom,
We plant with the apple tree. – William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878) US poet and newspaper editor
Here is a list of 15 things which, if you give up on them, will make your life a lot easier and much, much happier. We hold on to so many things that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering – and instead of letting them all go, instead of allowing ourselves to be stress free and happy – we cling on to them. Not anymore. Starting today we will give up on all those things that no longer serve us, and we will embrace change. Ready? Here we go:
- Give up your need to always be right. There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain, for us and for others. It’s just not worth it. Whenever you feel the ‘urgent’ need to jump into a fight over who is right and who is wrong, ask yourself this question: “Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind?” Wayne Dyer. What difference will that make? Is your ego really that big?
- Give up your need for control. Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you – situations, events, people, etc. Whether they are loved ones, coworkers, or just strangers you meet on the street – just allow them to be. Allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better will that make you feel.
“By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond winning.” Lao Tzu
- Give up on blame. Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your life.
- Give up your self-defeating self-talk.Oh my. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative, polluted and repetitive self-defeating mindset? Don’t believe everything that your mind is telling you – especially if it’s negative and self-defeating. You are better than that.
“The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly. Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive.” Eckhart Tolle
- Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible. From now on, you are no longer going to allow your limiting beliefs to keep you stuck in the wrong place. Spread your wings and fly!
“A belief is not an idea held by the mind, it is an idea that holds the mind” Elly Roselle
- Give up complaining. Give up your constant need to complain about those many, many, maaany things – people, situations, events that make you unhappy, sad and depressed. Nobody can make you unhappy, no situation can make you sad or miserable unless you allow it to. It’s not the situation that triggers those feelings in you, but how you choose to look at it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.
- Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you. We are all different, yet we are all the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. We all want something, and something is wished by us all.
- Give up your need to impress others. Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. It doesn’t work this way. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, the moment you take of all your masks, the moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you, effortlessly.
- Give up your resistance to change. Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B. Change will help you make improvements in your life and also the lives of those around you. Follow your bliss, embrace change – don’t resist it.
“Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls” Joseph Campbell
- Give up labels. Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open. “The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.”Wayne Dyer
- Give up on your fears. Fear is just an illusion, it doesn’t exist – you created it. It’s all in your mind. Correct the inside and the outside will fall into place.
“The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Give up your excuses. Send them packing and tell them they’re fired. You no longer need them. A lot of times we limit ourselves because of the many excuses we use. Instead of growing and working on improving ourselves and our lives, we get stuck, lying to ourselves, using all kind of excuses – excuses that 99.9% of the time are not even real.
- Give up the past. I know, I know. It’s hard. Especially when the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so frightening, but you have to take into consideration the fact that the present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present. Stop deluding yourself. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. After all life is a journey not a destination. Have a clear vision for the future, prepare yourself, but always be present in the now.
- Give up attachment. This is a concept that, for most of us is so hard to grasp and I have to tell you that it was for me too, (it still is) but it’s not something impossible. You get better and better at with time and practice. The moment you detach yourself from all things, (and that doesn’t mean you give up your love for them – because love and attachment have nothing to do with one another, attachment comes from a place of fear, while love… well, real love is pure, kind, and self less, where there is love there can’t be fear, and because of that, attachment and love cannot coexist) you become so peaceful, so tolerant, so kind, and so serene. You will get to a place where you will be able to understand all things without even trying. A state beyond words.
- Give up living your life to other people’s expectations.Way too many people are living a life that is not theirs to live. They live their lives according to what others think is best for them, they live their lives according to what their parents think is best for them, to what their friends, their enemies and their teachers, their government and the media think is best for them. They ignore their inner voice, that inner calling. They are so busy with pleasing everybody, with living up to other people’s expectations, that they lose control over their lives. They forget what makes them happy, what they want, what they need….and eventually they forget about themselves. You have one life – this one right now – you must live it, own it, and especially don’t let other people’s opinions distract you from your path.