It’s cloudy and quiet. There are still puddles, but they’re gradually drying. 53F, wind at 0-2mph and gusting, AQI27, UV8. 10% chance of rain today and 90% tonight. Today and from Wednesday on it ought to be mostly dry, but Monday and Tuesday are looking pretty wet or a good chance of it, anyway. We have a high coming ashore, but it’s not going to last even a day….
Yesterday started way too early. Tempus had a flat and the spare doesn’t fit quite right and it rattles… hmmm…. he stayed awake for a bit, waiting for the gas station to open so he could get the tire fixed…. their compressor is down, which means he’s going to have to run on the spare until Monday. Not good.
Well, we went to sleep for awhile and then he started kicking and thrashing and I got to fretting over stuff yet to get finished and that woke me completely. We also were supposed to have someone stop by the shop before noon, so we got open earlier than we’ve been although I was a mess. Worse, it was humid…. even with the doors open, which dropped the temp in the shop by 15 degrees once the breeze picked up, I felt sticky and awful.
Tempus and I have been talking all day. He’s been offered a car for not a lot of money that’s in much better shape than our minivan that we’ve had for so long. Our car’s got almost 400K under her tires and there are a lot of things that need fixing….that Tempus could fix if he had time and didn’t need her every single night. …and she needs a *lot* of fixing. Just replacing the tires is going to be a huge expense. Well, we’ll see.
We did start having customers coming in. One was a young man who already had a couple of Paul’s prints and wanted another. He also got some crystals. …and the guy who was supposed to come in noon-ish? Never showed… Well…. so I started stringing pendants, now that I have cord. Tempus worked in back. The clouds rolled in and rain started back up again. I did get outside to plant some vegetable ends. No clue if any will take.
Tempus and I got to realizing that if I was going to make rizky it was going to take more room than I would have, today, so the chicken went into the nuker with some spices. Once it was done it got boxed up for other meals. I faded out not long after that and slept for a couple of hours, getting up to finish the class on pies (I learned how to make hot-water-crust) and then finding another geology lecture.
The rain had stopped and the sun was struggling to shine through cloud, but it never succeeded other than to throw about 10 seconds of light onto my keyboard. We had our last customer, just a flying lookey-loo, maybe 2 minutes in the shop, at just past 8:30, and we closed up at about 1/4 till.
Tempus went out, since the rain had paused, to double-check on the headlight that’s been giving him trouble and worked out there for quite awhile. I finished my class, grabbed my embroidery and went in back. I managed to finish the Hedeby bag during the evening, so I just need to get the needlecase done and we can mail it on Monday. I did another motif on Sioned’s sippy cup and cut out the first of the larger purses for my new kit and he headed out around 2am for the paper route.
Today is our “different” day. I’m hoping to be able to make my “tarte de bry” today, and work on embroidery. Also hoping that Tempus will be able to do some more bone needles and fids for the embroidery section. We’ll be open from at least 1-5.
Today’s plant, Western Bracken Fern, Pteridium aquilinum, is a hardy plant that moves into disturbed ground. It dies down in the winter and grows very green, standing waist-high in the warm parts of the summer. You read a lot in literature of people making love in the bracken, which is part of its association with fertility. – Masculine, Mercury, Air – Burn outside for rain, use in amulets for protection, healing and fertility. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteridium_aquilinum
Today is the anniversary of the adoption of the first flag of the USA which happened on this day in 1777 by resolution of the Second Continental Congress. There is a house in Philadelphia where a Flag Day parade is held every year in front of the house where US folklore has it that Betsy Ross stitched the first flag. Well, it’s folklore…. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-the-american-flag/2011/06/08/AG3ZSkOH_story.html
The shop is open, limited hours, 1-5pm, Thursday through Monday. Need something? Give us a call at 541-563-7154 or Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org We should be able to accommodate requests and even allow a little shopping, one person at a time.
Love & Light,
Today’s Astro & Calendar
Waning Moon Magick – From the Full Moon to the New is a time for study, meditation, and magic designed to banish harmful energies and habits, for ridding oneself of addictions, illness or negativity. Remember: what goes up must come down. Phase ends at the Tide Change on 6/20 at 11:02pm. Waning Crescent Moon –Best time for beginning introspective magicks that are more long term (full year cycle) A good time for beginning knot magicks to “bind up” addictions and illness (finish just before the Tide Change of Dark to New) and “tying up loose ends” God/dess aspects – Demeter weeping for her Daughter, Mabon, Arachne Tyr. Phase ends on 6/16 at 2:43pm.
After dark look southeast for orange Antares, “the Betelgeuse of summer.” Both are 1st-magnitude “red” supergiants. Around and upper right of Antares are the other, whiter stars of upper Scorpius forming their distinctive shape. The rest of the Scorpion curls down toward the horizon.
Also right after dark, spot Arcturus way up high toward the south. Three fists below it is Spica. A fist and a half to Spica’s lower right, four-star Corvus, the springtime Crow, is heading down and away as spring draws to a close.
Jupiter’s moon Callisto is eclipsed by the planet’s shadow beginning at 1:17 A.M. EDT. In the moments leading up to the event, you can spot Callisto almost 1′ west of Jupiter. The moon slowly fades over the course of 10 minutes. At the same time, innermost moon Io is approaching from the east. Its small shadow slides onto the planet at 1:25 A.M. EDT and begins to cross. Io follows at 2:07 A.M. EDT, tracking behind its shadow across the planet for the next two hours. Callisto will reappear at 5:09 A.M. EDT; East Coast observers may have difficulty spotting it against the brightening sky, but those farther west will likely have an easier time seeing the moon pop back into view.
The Moon reaches apogee at 8:57 P.M. EDT, when it will sit 251,404 miles (404,596 kilometers) from Earth.
Mercury is ending its apparition in evening twilight; see the illustration at the top of this page. The little planet is fading fast, from magnitude 1.3 on June 12th to 1.9 on the 15th, while dropping out of view deep into bright twilight.
Old Farmer’s Almanac June Sky Map – https://www.almanac.com/night-sky-map-june-2020-see-stars-move
Goddess Month of Rosea runs from 6/13 – 7/10
Celtic Tree Month of Duir/Oak, Jun 10 – Jul 7 –
Runic half-month of Dagaz/ Dag, 6/14-6/28. – Beneficial rune of light, health, prosperity and openings, signifying the high point of the day and the high point of the year when in light and warmth all things are possible.
©2020 M. Bartlett, Some parts separately copyright
Celtic Tree Month of Duir/Oak, Jun 10 – Jul 7 – The oak of myth and legend is the common oak (Quercus robur L.). It is sometimes called the great oak, which is a translation of its Latin name (robur is the root of the English word “robust”). It grows with ash and beech in the lowland forests, and can reach a height of 150 feet and age of 800 years. Along with ashes, oaks were heavily logged throughout recent millennia, so that the remaining giant oaks in many parts of Europe are but a remnant of forests past. Like most other central and northern European trees, common oaks are deciduous, losing their leaves before Samhain and growing new leaves in the spring so that the trees are fully clothed by Bealltaine. Common oaks are occasionally cultivated in North America, as are the similar native white oak, valley oak, and Oregon oak. Oaks are members of the Beech family (Fagaceae). Curtis Clark
Su 14 Low 2:39 AM 2.2 5:31 AM Rise 2:24 AM 45
~ 14 High 8:02 AM 4.9 9:02 PM Set 2:34 PM
~ 14 Low 2:15 PM 1.4
~ 14 High 8:52 PM 6.6
Affirmation/Thought for the Day – Don’t look back, they might be gaining on you.
Journal Prompt – Favorites – What is your favorite sport? Write the reasons for your choice. (If you don’t have a favorite sport, decide what sport you would like to play. Then list the reasons for your choice.)
~ I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward. – Charlotte Bronte
~ We’ve been having some trouble with the school bus. It keeps bringing the kids back. – from Bruce L.
~ You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you. – John Bunyan
Don’t ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up. – Gilbert Keith Chesterton
The Danube River – Hamilton Aïdé (b. 1829)
Do you recall that night in June,
Upon the Danube river?
We listen’d to a Ländler tune,
We watch’d the moonbeams quiver.
I oft since then have watch’d the moon,
But never, love, oh! never,
Can I forget that night in June,
Adown the Danube river.
Our boat kept measure with its oar,
The music rose in snatches,
From peasants dancing on the shore
With boisterous songs and catches.
I know not why that Ländler rang
Through all my soul—but never
Can I forget the songs they sang
Adown the Danube river. – Edmund Clarence Stedman, ed. (1833–1908). A Victorian Anthology, 1837–1895. 1895.
Silliness – To Help You Smile – I heard on the news there’s a guy in town stealing the wheels off police cars. The cops are working tirelessly to catch him!