From Grandma’s Album…Baba’s Cherry Lemonade – A family recipe
From Grandma’s Album… – Baba’s Cherry Lemonade – Makes 4 servings, can be doubled – We had our own pie cherry trees at Baba and Dedi’s shore house. They were Montmorency cherries that bloomed in May and set fruit toward the end of June. They always smelled delicious, and had the best fruit. Even the birds would tell you that! We always had to argue with the birds.
This was one way that Baba used the fruit, but she also put it in rice pudding and made the best cherry pies.
Ingredients & kitchen tools:
- 4 large lemons or ½ cup of lemon juice
- 1 cup sour pie cherries
- 1/4 cup syrup (Make ahead and keep in fridge. See recipe below.)
- orange squeezer, 1/2 gallon pitcher, mixing spoon
- Juice and seed lemons with orange squeezer.
- Pit and crush cherries.
- Mix juice with syrup.
- Pour into a ½ gallon pitcher.
- Mix with 2 cups of water and stir well.
- Add ice, then water to fill the pitcher and stir again.
- Garnish with mint or lemon balm, orange slices, or pineapple and grapes on skewers.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of two lemons (the yellow part, scrape off with a grater)
- Pot, mixing spoon, strainer, storage box.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain, put in storage box and store in fridge.
- If it crystallizes, it can be heated in the microwave on high for one minute and stir well.
Page added and published 8/24/18 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 8/24/18