From Grandma’s Album… Cucumber Soup – Slovak recipe
Cucumber Soup (Mrs. Krechovic), Slovak recipe – Makes 4-6 servings – Mrs. Krechovic (CRAY – cho – vits) was a friend of Babicka’s, who lived at the end of Wills Road, which was where the Shore House was, Baba and Dedi’s summer home. Mrs. Krechovic was Slovak and said this recipe was one that was made there, often. She used to serve us this soup with buttered rye bread and then cafe a kolac in her pretty kitchen, all white with red trim. We used to go from there to her parlor which was all covered in embroidered tablecloths, lampmats and pillows, crocheted antimacassars and the most beautiful cutwork curtains.
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1/3 pound fresh mushrooms
- 5 green onions
- Fresh parsley
- 6 cups canned or boxed chicken broth
- Peel cucumbers, cut each in ½ longways and scoop out seeds. Discard seeds and peels.
- Cut cucumbers into thin slices (about 1/4 to 1/8 inches thick).
- Wash mushrooms, pop the stems out of the caps and cut both stems and caps into thin slices (about the same thickness as the cucumbers).
- Cut green onions into small slices, discarding root end and cut tips.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add cucumbers and mushrooms and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Add green onions to soup right before serving.
- Pour into individual soup bowls and garnish with parsley.
- Make it “Skinny” – Use low fat chicken broth.
- You can use this recipe with any summer squash, as well.
- I have also used very thin slices of potato in this soup when I didn’t have enough cucumbers. In step 6, add the potatoes first. Cook 2 minutes and continue as above.
Page added and published 8/24/18 (C)M. Bartlett
Last updated 8/24/18